Friday, March 13, 2009

MMR


Where to begin. Pinches bridge of nose, rubs tired eyes.


At the beginning would be as good a place as any I suppose.


As anyone who had read my previous posts would know I have a baby daughter. As anyone else with kids would know, around about the age of 18 months, in the U.K. and elsewhere you get a summons to go and have your child vaccinated against measles, mumps and rubella. The MMR for short.


Unless you have been living on another planet you will also be aware of the controversy surrounding this particular vaccine.


It is this, which has kept me awake at night.


Now before I go any further, I would like to point out that I am not anti vaccination and I would also like to point out that I am not blind either. My daughter has not been vaccinated because I believe there is something fundamentally awry with this particular vaccine and the people behind it.


I do not refer to autism, the main talking point of this particular product and I don’t put this down to its make up, components, wide spectrum of possible side effects, the duration of its overall effectiveness and potential long-term harm.


I refer to the lack/complete absence of the information that is to my mind critical, and the complete loss of reality and/or perspective of 99% of the adult population, medical profession and the media.


I like facts, the truth and a neutral perspective, especially where the MMR is concerned. My daughters well being is at stake at the end of the day. It’s just that when it comes down to it I can’t find any.


Lets start with this. This year the press reported over 1300 cases of measles which had two or more deaths, along with associated hysteria and castigation of those parents who refused to join the herd immunity culture. I personally have never seen anything like it. The only thing missing in some cases was a mob with burning torches and pitchforks. It was as though a childhood disease had suddenly become Ebola to the exclusion of everything else in this world that can harm or kill our children.


To continue…


1300 is what percentage of a population of 60 + million? Plus, two deaths is what compared to deaths from asthma, road traffic accidents, the flu, allergies, tetanus etc etc. We as parents are given no sense of scale with regards to measles.


The following are question I would like answered:


1) How many out of the 1300+ were children below vaccination age?


2) How many out of the 1300+ were adults?


3) How many of the 1300+ were already vaccinated?


4) How many of the 1300+ were visitors to this country?


5) If there were 2 deaths from measles then how many deaths have there been in the same time period from a reaction to the MMR?


6) For the two or more that died, how old were they?


7) For the two or more that died, were they killed by measles alone, or was it due to underlying complications such as a weakened immune system?


8) Why are we not getting the same hysteria with mumps and rubella?


9) If mumps and rubella are not worth the same attention/hysteria as measles then why are they part of the vaccine?


10) If girls are vaccinated against rubella and are therefore immune why are boys being given the same when they obviously can’t get pregnant?

On top of this I would like to ask with regards to this Holy Grail of herd immunity, why aren’t adults being vaccinated?
If you were vaccinated as a child then by the time you hit your twenties the immunity would have more than likely worn off.
It is an accepted fact that the duration of the immunity provided by the MMR is different for each individual. For some it may be 15 years, for others it doesn’t work at all.

So answer me this.


How can you have herd immunity when over three-quarters of the population are no longer immune. C’mon, think about it. When little Tarquin was taken for his jab, did you get offered or ask for a shot as well. No. If there is going to be an epidemic it isn’t going to be among our children now is it.


Plus, if it is not being offered to adults then you have to ask why. If the adult immune system can cope with measles therefore not warranting vaccination, at what age does this start? When is the immune system considered mature?


Finally, and most importantly, what is the cold, hard, neutral truth about measles, mumps and rubella. I would like an open document published with the facts about these diseases that incorporates the answers to the questions raised above.


I am sick to death of the contradictory opinions and supposed facts that anyone in the media or medical profession feel necessary to peddle.
Parents now feel like they are playing Russian roulette with their childs future. Vaccinate, you risk autism (????) ADHD (?????) etc. Don’t vaccinate then its encephalitis and other complications IF they catch measles. The proverbial rock and hard place.
It seems to me, at the end of the day, that profit and professional credibility have taken the place of logic, reason, the truth and my childs welfare.

I hope we don’t all live to regret it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

very useful read. I would love to follow you on twitter.

Quiet Mind said...

Thank you.
I am flattered that you would wish to continue reading my work. Unfortunately real life in the form of a 2 year old prohibits me from posting at the moment, but I shall attempt to do so soon.

Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it

Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.